a guide for earthlings. the official website of original thought, window gardens, subversive plots. featuring words, yarn & beats by brooklyn born trinidadian-american writer lesley-ann brown, aka the lab
No Competition
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I've been keeping my eye on what's been going on here in Denmark.
Few artists surprise. I'm just saying.
But I have hope for Aisha. Her heart is in the right place. And she has the voice to match it.
The other day at work, a colleague’s wife visited with their newborn daughter. The little girl, just 14 weeks old, reminded me of the preciousness of life anew. The new mother held her daughter lovingly in her arms and all exclaimed how truly beautiful this baby is. The mother, from Gambia, was that deep dark perfection of black. “When she grows up,” the new mother said, “she will look like you. Her hair will be long like yours, and her skin just as light. She’s a mulat, just like you.” After I recovered from my immediate cringe at the term still in use here in Denmark for biracial children, I realized that there was yet one more aspect of this conversation that I needed to wrap my head around. I immediately corrected her on my racial background: I am not biracial. I felt I had to say something because I have experienced, one too many times, for example, being targeted by a group of African girls, who jeered at me, calling me mulat , or white Danes who assumed the same, but u...
The Blackgirl on Mars Blog is one of the latest recipients of the Lemonade Stand Award! Adrianne George of Black Women In Europe Blog http://blog.blackwomenineurope.com awarded it to me! 1. Put the logo on your blog or post. 2. Nominate at least 10 blogs that show great attitude and/or gratitude. 3. Link to your nominees within your post. 4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog. 5. Nominate your favorites, and link to this post. In my opinion these blogs show great attitude and/or gratitude: A Brother In Sweden Zooms Freespirit Rootsblog Watchman Ultraviolet Underground Guanaguanare A Mother From Gaza Color Online Hat's Off
People always ask me what Danish people are like & a few years ago, while I was caught up with my own issues of unhappiness and sorrow, I probably would have answered with a shake of my head and say, "Well, they're Danish." I knew I was generalizing, and hated doing so, but it was easy to do and as far as I could tell, I wasn't hurting anyone--or so I thought. When my son and I returned from New York City this summer, he said a few things to me that made me think. First of all, you gotta understand, when we stayed in New York, we stayed at Marie's on 154th Street--a beautiful brownstone full of books, amazing artwork and people. At Marie's Kai met play directors, writers, painters, editors, agents, sales directors, actors--All of whom just happened to be Black. And he loved it. He loved it, I suppose, cause he got to see others who looked like his mother and who, from what he could tell, valued his mother highly. What child doesn't like to see that, ...