a guide for earthlings. the official website of original thought, window gardens, subversive plots. featuring words, yarn & beats by brooklyn born trinidadian-american writer lesley-ann brown, aka the lab
Hero
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
RT speaks to British MP Paul Flynn who was thrown out of Parliament for voicing his opposition to the Afghan war.
The Blackgirl on Mars Blog is one of the latest recipients of the Lemonade Stand Award! Adrianne George of Black Women In Europe Blog http://blog.blackwomenineurope.com awarded it to me! 1. Put the logo on your blog or post. 2. Nominate at least 10 blogs that show great attitude and/or gratitude. 3. Link to your nominees within your post. 4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog. 5. Nominate your favorites, and link to this post. In my opinion these blogs show great attitude and/or gratitude: A Brother In Sweden Zooms Freespirit Rootsblog Watchman Ultraviolet Underground Guanaguanare A Mother From Gaza Color Online Hat's Off
The other day at work, a colleague’s wife visited with their newborn daughter. The little girl, just 14 weeks old, reminded me of the preciousness of life anew. The new mother held her daughter lovingly in her arms and all exclaimed how truly beautiful this baby is. The mother, from Gambia, was that deep dark perfection of black. “When she grows up,” the new mother said, “she will look like you. Her hair will be long like yours, and her skin just as light. She’s a mulat, just like you.” After I recovered from my immediate cringe at the term still in use here in Denmark for biracial children, I realized that there was yet one more aspect of this conversation that I needed to wrap my head around. I immediately corrected her on my racial background: I am not biracial. I felt I had to say something because I have experienced, one too many times, for example, being targeted by a group of African girls, who jeered at me, calling me mulat , or white Danes who assumed the same, but u...
Login Podcasts Merch Archives About ☰ Facebook Twitter Reddit Email Bluesky MARCH 27, 2019 Lesley-Ann Brown – Episode 123 JOSH FRANK Facebook Twitter Reddit Bluesky Email “Writing is a type of sorcery.” So says author, poet, and educator Lesley-Ann Brown on this week’s CounterPunch Radio. Listen to hear Lesley-Ann discuss her book “Decolonial Daughter: Letters from a Black Woman to Her European Son” and some of the important political, cultural, and spiritual themes that weave the text together. Eric and Lesley-Ann explore memory, the role of mothers and women in indigenous cultures, how capitalism robs people of their histories, what colonization looked like from the beaches rather than the ships, the stories written upon our skin, and so much more. Music: Max Romeo – “Socialism Is Love” Link: https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/03/27/lesley-ann-brown-episode-123/